Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Last Vermeer: Combo Classic Trickster, Cunning Subversive

 
 
** "In the colonies of yesteryear, we were the Nazis. We raped, we murdered, we took slaves - we even threw babies on to fires. And the statues of the men who led that, stand proudly in our public spaces." 

Guy Pearce is one of the most accomplished - and unheralded actors around, noted for his roles in Memento, LA Confidential and Brimstone. And now the Australian actor both astonishes and bewilders in The Last Vermeer,  inhabiting the psyche of the real life, ostentaciously evasive WWII Dutch artist and art forger Han van Meegeren. Who sold the classic painting in question to the Nazi occupiers - in exchange for art they looted from the national museums. Or did he. 

Simultaneously convicted, cursed and celebrated in his lifetime for trading classic artwork to the Nazis - while at the same time adored in Dutch popular culture by trading a forged Vermeer to them in exchange for authentic museum art they pillaged from the national museums,  the notorious figure symbolizes beyond his situation in this dramatic feature, the questionable US and European powers who today claim, or rather self-proclaim global moral authority. And continued demonizing and assault in that regard, against Third World countries they've targeted with genocide and exploitation, for centuries.

And which brings up key political questions masterfully encircling and fueling the narrative revisiting this relatively unknown figure elsewhere. Essentially, what is truth really, when it comes to victims and villains, who gets to define them whether courtrooms or the historical verdict - and all the gray areas in between.

The Last Vermeer may be the first candid, uncompromising dramatic interrogation probing what passes for truth or fabrication in the inevitably confounding aspects of human history. And swept along by the astonishing, deliriously elusive and mystifying Oscar-worthy performance of Guy Pearce - fueling a splendidly perverse, alternately shrewd and discerning vivacity to the notion of unreliable narrator, indeed. And, those eyebrows...

Prairie Miller

7 comments:

  1. DR AZIBA HERBAL MEDICINE is the natural male support formula designed to take your sexual performance to another level. This is the formula designed to combat against all sexual complications and erectile dysfunction. The supplement promotes healthy production of testosterone hormone in body that increases sexual desires and endurance, while helping you to perform harder and longer on bed. It reduces the fatigue levels and sexual decline caused due to aging and optimizes the sexual drives and arousal levels for peak performance on bed.
    DR AZIBA HERBS even focuses on increasing your circulation of blood across penile chambers. This increment in the circulation widens the blood vessels for increased holding capacity and this treats the root cause of ED in males. It reduces your fatigue levels and allows you to last longer with intense orgasms and better sexual drives. It also maximizes your sexual climax by allowing you to hold your ejaculation longer when performing on bed. Get in contact with DR AZIBA via Email: Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com And WhatsApp him directly on +2348100368288.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forums about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV). I was positive for the deadly virus called HERPES. I lost hope because I became disaffected with conventional treatments. You have to take some large pills every day, or large doses of antiviral medicine every time you feel another rash is developing. This is an awkward and ineffective way to rid an infection. I searched online to know and inquire about a cure for HERPES and read someone's testimony on how he was cured of HSV-2 so I decided to contact the same herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via D.H.L and it got to me after 3 days! I used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was credited really like a dream but I am so happy! and he also said that he can cure another disease e.g CANCER, HIV, HBP, E.T.C that’s the reason I decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me! and if you need his help, you can contact him via email at drwilliamscure@gmail.com you can also send him a message on WhatsApp at +2347040461868. Website: https://drwilliamscure.wixsite.com/he...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Ige Ajayi is simply the best spell caster and helper. My name is Elizabeth McQuin, Out of respect for you and your spells I must make this testimony know to all. I've been to other spell casters without seeing any result.I just wished I came to you earlier, i got the best from you. My ex husband was gone for a year and I went everywhere and other spell casters for help but no result until my friend introduce me to Dr. Ige Ajayi. After the Love Spell was done, I finally got a calls from him in 24 hours like Dr. Ige Ajayi assured me. His spells worked wonders and my husband is back with full of love. It's a miracle! He suddenly came back with flowers saying that i should forgive him, i was truly flabbergasted and shocked when my husband kneel down begging for forgiveness and for me to accept him back. I'm really short of words and joyful, you are a God sent to me and my entire family. And now i am a joyful woman once again. Thank you so much Dr. Ige Ajayi. To everyone who is looking for a real spell caster should contact Dr. Ige Ajayi On: drigeajayi@gmail.com You can also Whatsapp him on +234 (80)-5739-3990

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  5. I contacted herpes' I was told there is no herpes cure except treatment to
    control it. I totally lost hope. All I could think was losing my life it
    was so embarrassing to have this virus, few weeks ago I ready about a
    possible natural herbs cure which was guaranteed. And I ordered the natural
    herbs treatment from Dr voodoo after some weeks I got 100? cure. Now I'm so
    excited to share this testimony contact Dr voodoo WhatsApp number
    +2348140120719 also e-mail him at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I contacted herpes' I was told there is no herpes cure except treatment to
    control it. I totally lost hope. All I could think was losing my life it
    was so embarrassing to have this virus, few weeks ago I ready about a
    possible natural herbs cure which was guaranteed. And I ordered the natural
    herbs treatment from Dr voodoo after some weeks I got 100? cure. Now I'm so
    excited to share this testimony contact Dr voodoo WhatsApp number
    +2348140120719 also e-mail him at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete